Dunloy, Ballymena

© 2018 by Unit Updates.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

Creggan Run Riot in the Rain

Updated: Jun 20, 2018

Creggan captain Conor McCann and Aghagallon captain Gareth Magee with referee Sean Lavery before the game.

Kickham's Creggan 2-19 St Mary's Aghagallon 1-05

Kickham's Creggan made light of the dreadful conditions on Tuesday night in Lisburn as they produced a sparkling attacking display to secure their passage to an O'Cahan Cup final against rivals Cargin.

The rain was incessant as referee Sean Lavery got the game underway and it was St Mary's who started the brighter, Eunan Walsh kicking over an early score for the Aghagallon men after they won the throw-in and worked it downfield.

The lead, however, lasted mere seconds before Liam Quinn raced out in front of his man to win a crossfield ball and swing over an equalising score, before a Kevin Small free kick put the Kickham's in front, a lead they would not relinquish for the remainder of the game.

David McGuckin, the only member of the full-forward line not to get on the scoresheet within two minutes of the throw-in, was determined not to be outdone, but was met with an in-form Gavin O'Neill in the St Mary's goal. O'Neill made two point-blank stops from McGuckin before acrobatically turning a third effort out for a 45.

The aptly named Sam Maguire broke free on the right and fired over a neat score to increase the Creggan lead before O'Neill's goal was finally breached, Matthew Rodgers dispatching the ball to the net after a neat Liam Quinn kick pass found him on the edge of the six-yard box.

David McGuckin continued to benefit from the chances being carved at will in the Aghagallon defence, and saw another effort go close, rebounding off the foot of the post.

Gareth Magee briefly lifted the siege by raising a white flag from play up the other end before Michael McStravick called Creggan 'keeper Oisín Kerr into action, the Kickham's man getting down well to claim the slippery ball.

Fintan Burke responded well with a score for Creggan before Magee ended the half with Aghagallon's third point of the evening, dipping a breaking ball on the edge of the six-yard box and firing over the bar.

Referee Sean Lavery gets the second half underway.

After a profligate first half, the Creggan lads were clearly given a very simple 'take your points' instruction at half time and began the second half in blistering style, hitting 0-07 without reply as Tiarnán McAteer and Liam Quinn began to find the link-up play that served them so well in St Mary's Magherafelt colours in the MacRory Cup.

That purple patch saw six different scorers, including a great score from corner back Oisín McAteer, as Creggan looked to have broken the Aghagallon resolve.

Gareth Magee hit back with a fine left-footed score but it was a temporary reprieve for St Mary's as Tiarnán McAteer slotted over to finish a fine flowing move before David McGuckin got the goal he deserved to top off another fine move.

With Ruairí McCann finding his range from frees, Aghagallon looked to hit back and registered a goal through substitute Johnny Harbinson, his initial effort saved by Oisín Kerr before Harbinson bundled the rebound into the net.

Harbinson looked lively and minutes later Kerr was again called into action to tip his dipping effort over the crossbar.

A brace of points from Tiarnán McAteer followed before David McGuckin fittingly ended the game with another long-range point to seal the victory and set up a local derby in the O'Cahan Cup final against current holders Erin's Own Cargin.

Man of the Match Liam Quinn who kicked 0-04 and was instrumental in attack for Creggan.

Kickham's Creggan: Oisín Kerr, Oisín McAteer, Ricky Johnson, Aidan Maguire, Sam Maguire, Conor McCann, Matthew Rodgers, Ruairí McCann, Dermot McCann, Fintan Burke, Tiarnán McAteer, Paddy Coey, Liam Quinn, Kevin Small, David McGuckin.

St Mary's Aghagallon: Gavin O'Neill, Aidan Mulholland, Mark McKenna, Shane Russell, Jack Lenehan, Pat Branagan, Dessie Marshall, Oisín Lenehan, Eunan Walsh, Niall McShane, Ciaran Brady, Michael McStravick, Gareth Magee, Francis Bustard.

Referee: Sean Laverty (St Ergnatt's Moneyglass)

#OCahanCup #UnitUpdates