Dunloy, Ballymena

© 2018 by Unit Updates.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

Glen Recover To Ease Through

Caileán O'Boyle attempts a free in the second half.

Erin's Own Lavey 2-06

Watty Graham's Glen 1-15

Despite a blistering start from the 2018 finalists, Watty Graham's patient play and confidence in their system saw them overcome Erin's Own Lavey to set up a Semi-Final clash with neighbours Sleacht Néill in the O'Neill's Derry SFC.

An early salvo of Lavey scores saw a nervy Glen trail by 1-03 to no score after 13 minutes, but a moment of inspiration from Alex Doherty and a commanding performance from Ciaran McFaul saw them regroup to lead by two at the break.

Erin's Own didn't manage to match their first half tally in the second but despite a superb individual Shea Downey goal, Glen's methodical play saw them limit Lavey to speculative pot-shots and sealed a confident victory.

Caileán O'Boyle opened the scoring on 6 minutes with a close-range free and was gifted an immediate second when Callum Mullan-Young's resulting kickout fell into his arms. Niall Toner followed with his first score of the championship and a two-minute salvo had Lavey leading by 3 points.

Glen's kickout then once again misfired, and although Mullan-Young got a hand to the low drive from O'Boyle, he was unable to redeem himself as Anthony McGurk showed good composure to finish low to the unguarded net.

The stand murmured with memories from last year's capitulation, but Ciaran McFaul led the response with an immediate score, before Alex Doherty nipped in between three Lavey men to win the ball and raced 40 yards to hammer the ball into the top corner of Ciaron O'Boyle's net.

A Paul Gunning free left just one between them before another surging Doherty run resulted this time in a point to level the score on 22 minutes. Doherty then gave Glen the lead, collecting the ball on a looping run and hanging a high shot over the Lavey crossbar.

Ciaron O'Boyle had to be alert to get down low and deny Jack Doherty a goal after the midfielder's bounce had skidded in front of him on the slick Owenbeg turf before Declan Hughes swung Lavey level with two minutes to play until half-time.

A Tiarnan Flanagan score then edged Glen back in front before a late Paul Gunning free doubled their half-time advantage.

Domino's Magherafelt Man of the Match Ciaran McFaul of Watty Graham's.

An early Caileán O'Boyle free began the second-half scoring on 34 minutes but Ethan Doherty ended a neat Glen move by firing low over the bar to cancel out the score.

Shea Downey then lifted Lavey into the lead, winning the ball on half-way and driving down the right flank, ignoring all runners and finishing the ball in off the upright.

Again within a minute Watty Graham's were level, Man of the Match Ciaran McFaul pointing after ferocious Glen pressure forced a turnover on the Lavey 45m line before Tiarnan O'Boyle fisted a Danny Tallon cross off the post.

Emmett Bradley, quietly effective in the game, produced a stunning diving block on Fintan Bradley and from the resulting counter-attack, substitute Conor Convery sent Glen into the lead with a neat point.

The Watties then sprung into life, hitting 0-04 without reply as Lavey wilted in front of 4617 spectators in Owenbeg. Danny Tallon and Conor Carville pointed before Ciaran McFaul's third of the evening and an Emmett Bradley 45 left 5 points separating the sides.

Damian Chivers replied with a 57th minute score, but Stephen O'Hara and Emmett Bradley raised white flags before Chivers was red-carded for an off-the-ball incident at the death.

Glen took themselves off to the far side as the draw took place but couldn't have failed to notice the ripple of excitement that echoed in the stand. Sleacht Néill in the last four.

Erin's Own: Ciaron O'Boyle, Aidan Toner, Michael Drumm, Shane Lagan, Colm Murphy, Shea Downey (1-00), Eamon McGill, Damian Chivers (0-01), Declan Hughes (0-01), Shane McGill, Anthony McGurk (1-00), Chrissy Henry, Fintan Bradley, Caileán O'Boyle (0-01, 0-02f), Niall Toner (0-01).

Subs: Hugh McGurk for Shane Lagan 34', Ryan Mulholland for Anthony McGurk 36', Kevin O'Neill for Chrissy Henry 41', James Crawford for Michael Drumm 53, Liam Murphy for Kevin O'Neill 55', Colm Dillon for Shea Downey 61'.

Watty Graham's: Callum Mullan-Young, Oran McGill, Ryan Dougan, Cathair McCabe, Ethan Doherty (0-01), Conor Carville (0-01), Cathal Mulholland, Ciaran McFaul (0-03), Jack Doherty, Michael Warnock, Danny Tallon (0-01), Tiarnan Flanagan (0-01), Paul Gunning (0-02f), Alex Doherty (1-02), Emmett Bradley (0-01, 0-01 - 45).

Subs: Conor Convery (0-01) for Tiarnan Flanagan 40', Eunan Mulholland for Cathal Mulholland 45', Conleith McGuckin for Jack Doherty 55', Stephen O'Hara (0-01) for Alex Doherty.

Referee: Dan Mullan - John Mitchel's Glenullin

Man of the Match: Ciaran McFaul - Watty Graham's Glen