Dunloy, Ballymena

© 2018 by Unit Updates.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

Lavey Cruise into the Last Eight

Erin’s Own Lavey 0-12 St Oliver Plunkett’s Greenlough 0-06

2018 finalists Erin's Own held opponents Greenlough at arm's length throughout this O'Neill's Derry SFC clash in Owenbeg on Friday evening.

St Oliver Plunkett's lost talisman Enda Lynn in the warm-up and suffered three late changes before throw-in and it took mere seconds for Shea Downey to raise Lavey's first white flag.

Ominously for the Plunkett's, Declan Hughes doubled the lead on 2 minutes and after 7 minutes centre-forward Oran Downey jinked his way down the right flank and split the posts to open a three-point lead.

Lavey hit a further brace of scores from the boot of full-forward Caileán O'Boyle, before Enda McNally's ambitious drive was turned over by Ciaron O'Boyle to register Greenlough's opening score.

O'Boyle then corrected the perceived affront by slotting a free up the other end, before two Niall Loughlin frees reduced the deficit to three points.

In truth Greenlough's furtive advances were few and far between. Lavey starved them of possession and were patient in their own build-up, waiting for the chance to present itself and attacking at pace through the heart of their defence.

Man of the Match Oran Downey of Erin's Own Lavey.

Man of the Match Oran Downey was instrumental in orchestrating the Erin's Own attack, but it was a bone-crunching Eamon McGill challenge that signalled their dominance, turning the ball over and resulting in a pointed Caileán O'Boyle free.

Two further O'Boyle scores saw Lavey end the half leading by six points and in complete control. Little changed after the break.

Oran Downey's second of the evening opened the half and points from Caileán O'Boyle and Eamon McGill copper-fastened the victory.

Greenlough did hit back through a Ryan Tohill brace and a point from substitute Matthew Bradley, but the Gulladuff men were already looking into the last eight and would have doubled their second-half tally had Kevin McNally not got down well to deny a raiding Aidan Toner in the dying embers.

John Brennan's men march on to the Quarter-Final as they attempt to go one better than last year.

Erin's Own Lavey: Ciaron O’Boyle (0-01f), Aidan Toner, Michael Drumm, Shane Lagan, Colm Murphy, Shea Downey (0-01), Eamon McGill (0-01), Damian Chivers, Declan Hughes (0-01), Shane McGill, Oran Downey (0-01, 0-01f), Ryan Mulholland, Fintan Bradley, Cailean O’Boyle (0-02, 0-04f), Niall Toner.

Subs: Chrissy Henry for Ryan Mulholland 40', Colm Dillon for Eamon McGill 57', Liam Murphy for Oran Downey 60'

St Oliver Plunkett's Greenlough: Kevin McNally, Christopher Lagan, Jack McCann, Paul Quinn, Christopher Lynn, Connall McErlean, Stefan Lynn, Enda McNally (0-01), Niall Bradley, Damien McTague, Brian McCallion, Ryan Tohill (0-02), Niall Loughlin (0-02f), Stephen Bradley, Conor Mullan.

Subs: Matthew Bradley (0-01) for Caolan Tohill 41', Michael McDowell for Damien McTague 42', Kevin Mullan for Ryan Tohill 57'

Referee: Mervyn McAleese (St Colm’s Drum)

Man of the Match: Oran Downey (Erin's Own Lavey)

#ONeillsSFC #DerrySFC