Dunloy, Ballymena

© 2018 by Unit Updates.

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon

Loughgiel Goals See Off Ballygalget

Captains Declan McCloskey (Shamrocks), Michael Toner and Ciaran Watson (St Patrick's) with referee Alan Nash (Doire Trasna) before the game.
Loughgiel Shamrocks (Aontroim) 5-15
John Mitchel's Ballygalget (An Dún) 0-08

A personal haul of 2-05 for full-forward Odhran McGrath helped Loughgiel ease past the challenge of Ballygalget and into the Final of the Leadon Timberframe Ulster MHC on Sunday afternoon at Ballinascreen.

The Antrim champions’ ability to find the net was crucial in securing a dominant victory and their movement up front occupied the Ards men to the point where they had only registered 0-02 in 22 minutes.

Ciaran Watson had cancelled out Rían McMullan’s early score with a free in the 5th minute but by the 15th minute Loughgiel had fired home three goals, Michael McGarry adding to McGrath’s brace as the Shamrocks led by 3-05 to 0-01.

Ballygalget found their footing in the second quarter of the game and hit four points in the final ten minutes of the half. A Ciaran Watson brace coupled with points from Brendan McNamara and Jon Fisher gave the Ards men some hope but a further McGrath point and goal from Frank Boyle knocked them back on their heels before the break.

Rían McMullan received a second yellow card just before the break and had a gilt-edged opportunity to close the gap on 32 minutes from the spot but the penalty was missed.

Ballygalget’s Caolan Coulter did open the second-half scoring with a 35th minute point, but a 1-04 salvo, including a 39th minute Michael McGarry goal, from the Glens side extinguished their faint hopes of a comeback.

St Patrick’s responded through Michael Dorrian, but the Loughgiel sails were up and scores from McGrath, McGarry and Ryan Hill extended their lead and the final ten minutes played out in a flurry of substitutions before Loughgiel had the final say, Cathal Hargan pointing in the 59th minute.

The Antrim champions will watch with interest tomorrow night as Eoghan Ruadh of Tyrone take on Derry kingpins Lavey for a chance to take on Loughgiel next weekend in the Final.

Shamrocks: Kevin McAuley, Conor Henry, Ruairí McCloskey, Christie Dickson, Enda Óg McGarry, Declan McCloskey, Tiernan McAlonan, Shane O’Boyle (0-01), Cathal Hargan (0-03), Ryan Hill (0-01), Michael McGarry (2-02, 0-01f), Frank Boyle (1-00), Rían McMullan (0-01), Odhran McGrath (2-05), Christy McGarry (0-01).

Subs: Conor O’Mullan for Frank Boyle 50’, Conor McCormick for Michael McGarry 54’, Damian Quinn for Ryan Hill 54’, Tiernan McCaughan for Enda Óg McGarry 56’.

John Mitchel's: Rossa McGrath, Eoin Pucci, Jack Lee, Oran O’Connor, Owen McDermott, Michael Toner, James Higgins, Caolan Coulter (0-02), Jon Fisher (0-01), Oisín Coulter, Ciaran Watson (0-01, 0-02f), Michael Dorrian (0-01), Fergal Gilmore, Shea Doran, Brendan McNamara (0-01).

Subs: Rory Coulter for Shea Doran 51’.

Referee: Alan Nash – Doire Trasna - Doire